Everything tastes better with a little cream and butter. But you won’t miss it in this dairy-free “cream” of broccoli soup. It’s chock full of veggies, with cashews for creamy richness and a little protein. And it’s quick and easy.
Ingredients and instruction follow, but honestly, I never use a recipe. The gist of it is as follows:
THE NON-RECIPE FOR CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP
Saute onion and garlic, add a handful of raw cashews, fresh or frozen broccoli, bay leaf, and enough broth to cover. Cover pot and simmer. When broccoli is fork tender, blend until smooth. Reheat and season to taste. Amounts are pretty much whatever you have on hand, really.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH YOUR CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP
- Add a thick slice of whole grain bread for a quick lunch.
- Crisp up corn tortillas on a hot cast iron griddle with melty grated cheddar.
- Add leftover meat and/or beans to your tortillas for a more filling side.
- Top bread/tortilla/pita with hummus, avocado, sprouts, tomato, a slice of sweet onion.
- flatbread crackers.
CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP INGREDIENTS
- 2 T olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 med onion, diced
- 2-5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 c raw cashews
- 8 c broccoli florets and chopped stem pieces
- 6+ c broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 bay leaf
- cayenne or smoked paprika, optional
CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP INSTRUCTIONS
In a soup pot, saute onions and garlic in oil until the onions are translucent.
Add cashews, broccoli, bay leaf, and enough broth to cover everything. Cover and simmer until the broccoli is fork tender.
Add solids from the soup pot, along with a little broth, to the blender. Blend until creamy.
Return mixture to the pot and reheat, adding more broth if it seems too thick. Season with salt to taste.
Serve immediately. Dash of smoked paprika and/or cayenne optional.